Legal Operations Index – Emma Jackson
Emma Jackson is a Client Innovation Manager at law firm Mills & Reeve LLP. Emma has worked tirelessly over her 20 year career to champion women in technology and has “drastically improved the way the firm uses technology to deliver excellence in legal services”. Prior to heading up the Client Innovation team, Emma was an IT trainer and has “used her passion and knowledge for technology to benefit not only her colleagues at Mills & Reeve but also its clients and the wider community”.
Emma champions the use of technology and innovation and has driven technological change both internally and for the firm’s clients, inspiring collaboration and client-centric innovation. Emma is nominated for the following achievements:
- Designed, created, and implemented Volume Control, Mills & Reeve’s award-winning innovative client solution and bespoke end-to-end case management system for clients, enabling slick, collaborative matter and project management. Volume Control is proving to be an extremely valuable proposition for clients and has quickly built momentum. Due to “Emma’s enthusiasm and drive to utilise this innovative solution, the firm are now selling Volume Control to clients as a unique product bespoke to their specific needs and requirements”.
- Integrating additional Volume Control features including AI and automation to help Mills & Reeve win complex client work.
- Driving force behind development of award-winning “What the tech?!” app, helping lawyers understand the legal technology available to them and their clients.
- Member and Secretary of the Birmingham Law Society Legal Technology Committee to drive innovation and legal technology out into the wider marketplace and legal community. Co-hosts monthly community meet ups to discuss tech in the legal sector.
- Panelist at numerous events to promote thought leadership and the importance of innovation and legal tech, including hosting a round table at Alternative Legal IT Summit in September.
- Mentoring women in legal technology for Reed recruitment.
- Winner of Thought Leadership award for Women of Influence and Power in Law 2021.
- Worked with Ahead Partnership on the immerse and progress project to create a Professional Technology Module for students to promote equality of opportunity for employment.
- Announced earlier in the year that Mills & Reeve had been successful in their tender to be reappointed as legal advisor for an important client. It was “clear from client feedback that Emma and Legal Technology were a key factor in our appointment”.
Emma has been described as “a leader in her field and it has been recognised at board level that without Emma, the firm’s innovation strategy would be significantly less progressed”. It is also noted that “her work has been instrumental in M&R being awarded a number of accolades. The firm have won more innovation and tech focused awards in the past 18 months than ever before due to Emma’s leadership and her infectious passion for all things legal tech!”.