Legal Operations Index – Vicki Milner
Vicki is a IT Business Partner at Osborne Clarke, with responsibility for driving technological change across Osborne Clarke. She champions innovation and changes the way the firm’s people currently use technology to support their work. The firm’s goal is to help clients succeed in tomorrow’s world, and one of the ways it does that is by ensuring all its people are equipped with the right digital tools, right processes and that they are empowered with the right skills to use them effectively.
She has been nominated for the following achievements during November 2020 – December 2021:
- Actively champions tech by ensuring the firm succeeds in tomorrow’s world by ensuring all its people are equipped with the right digital tools, right processes and that they are empowered with the right skills to use them effectively;
- Actively involved in firm’s journey from using Skype for Business for collaboration to using Teams;
- With clients looking to drive down costs and/or justify external spend they are expecting law firms to provide solutions that help them do that. Vicki helps the firms lawyers to think about these themes and encourages them to utilise technology effectively for client work;
- Focusing on the collaboration side of Teams, Osborne Clarke uses a task management tool which replaces the current more traditional processes. Vicki has developed templates with the firm’s lawyers which are used across the business. This goes to the very heart of how the firm delivers legal services by providing an end-to-end timeline of the matter, signposting all tasks. This increases efficiency and transparency both internally and externally with clients which, in turn, reduces bills and write offs, reduces risk, enables better supervision, improves lawyer development and better disseminates and uses knowledge. Microsoft has told the firm our use of the task management tool and the M365 platform as a whole is leading the way in how law firms utilise these aspects of the M365 stack.
- Vicki also heads up a consulting service where she works side-by-side with the firm’s lawyers to understand their pain points, how technologically advanced they are and offer them appropriate solutions. This allows the firm’s time-poor lawyers to access bespoke advice at a time that suits them, which has led to improved engagement and is changing behaviour across the firm.
At the start of 2022 Vicki undertook a Solutions Manager role at Osborne Clarke.